German is the country for stews and “Eintopf” as we say in German. Everything is cooked in one pot. The German Beef Onion stew is similiar to Goulash but not quite the same. You cook this dish in the oven for 90 min; the meat should be very tender. The stew tastes the best with dumplings as a side dish. The lemon zest and red wine adds a nice flavor to it. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Beef Onion Stew
3 medium size onions
4 tbsp oil or clarified butter
2 tbsp paprika powder, mild
1 kg beef stew, cut in cubes
black pepper, salt to taste
2 garlic cloves (optional)
2 bay leaves
zest of 1/2 lemon, organic (optional)
1/2 liter beef or vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth – or alternatively water
– How to make Beef Broth –
splash of red wine, dry (optional)
Cooking Instructions German Beef Onion Stew
– Pre-heat oven to 430 F.
– Peel all onions, cut in rings.
– In a fire proof skillet (dutch oven) melt oil, add onion rings and chopped garlic, fry until onions look transparent.
– Spice meat with paprika, salt and pepper, add to onions.
– Brown meat on high heat for 1 minute.
– Add bay leaves and 3/4 of lemon zest plus half of the broth/water.
– Cook meat in oven covered for 1 hour, add remaining hot broth and wine. Cook another 30 min.
– Before serving add the remaining lemon zest.
Serve with potato dumplings. – Go to the recipe for Potato Damplings Half and half –