Today you will learn how to make the most special cake of this world! It is the German Baumkuchen recipe or "tree cake" in English. We think gods must have invented this cake recipe. It is heavenly! In Germany you can find the Baumkuchen in many bakeries and Cafes. It is actually not so difficult to bake it. The cake has about 10 layers which are roasted - yes, roasted. You can watch the video which goes with the recipe. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Baumkuchen Recipe
250 g butter, very soft or molten
250 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz - How to make Vanilla sugar - or 2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp orange juice
6 eggs, separated
120 g flour
100 g starch
3 tbsp baking powder - 0.5oz
1 tbsp almond or rum flavor
alternatively 3 tbsp amaretto liquor or dark Rum
200 g semi-sweet chocolate for the glaze
Baking Instructions German Baumkuchen Recipe
(see the attached video)
- Mix butter with sugar, vanilla sugar, rum flavor and egg yolks. Mix for about 4-5 min with hand mixer until creamy.
- Add whole eggs, again one after the other and mixing in between.
- Mix flour, starch, baking powder.
- Sieve the flour mix to the dough. Mix well with a spatula.
- Beat egg whites with 75 g sugar until firm, you should see pointy edges on your mixer.
- Fold into dough with spatula.
- Start broiler of your oven (lowest level). Preheat oven.
- Layer bottom of a spring from with parchment paper. Just place parchment over the bottom and close with form.
- Spread about 2 tbsp of the dough on top of the bottom, spread even with a cake lifter (server).
- Roast the dough on the lowest grid for about 2 min (sugar needs to caramelize) on 220 C or 420 F. Distance should be 10 inches from form to heating spiral.
- Repeat this until all dough is in the form in layers. You can see in the video that the layers are thin.
- Always watch the cake so it won't get brown.
- When cake is done let cool off before removing the form.
- Carefully place it upside down on a baking grid, remove parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate (double boiler) and spread on top and on the sides of the cake.
- Smooth out the chocolate with a spatula.
The most special cake of this world is ready!