German Apple Streusel cake or Apple Crumble Cakes are awesome. In German we call crumbles "Streusel", it is a great topping for any fruit cake. The most traditional cake might be the apple cake with Streusel. This recipe is using marzipan as well. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Apple Streusel Cake
250 g soft butter
200 g sugar
300 g flour
100 g potato or corn starch
3 tbsp baking powder
2 packets vanilla sugar (o.6oz) or the core of 1 vanilla bean or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- How to make Vanilla Sugar -
4 tbsp milk
1 kg apples
100 g marzipan (optional)
300 g flour
100 g sugar
1 egg yolk
150 g cold butter
cinnamon to taste
butter for the baking tray
powdered sugar, lemon juice
Baking Instructions German Apple Streusel Cake
- Whisk softened butter until foamy, while whisking add vanilla sugar or vanilla bean.
- Add one egg after the other and whisk until creamy.
- Mix flour, starch and baking powder and with milk (alternating) add to dough.
- Spread dough on a greased deep baking tray.
- Peel apples and cut in small slices.
- Sprinkle apples with lemon juice so they won't get brown.
You might need less or some more apples depending on how you place them on the dough.
How to make the Crumbles or Streusel:
- Cut marzipan in little cubes.
- Add flour, sugar, cinnamon and egg yolk into a bowl.
- Add butter in little flakes on top and with your hands create small crumbles.
- Mix marzipan cubes to the crumbles and spread them over the apples.
- Pre-heat oven and bake the cake for about 35 minutes for 200 C or 390 F.
Let cool off; serve with powdered sugar on top and whipped cream.
If you like add to the dough a package vanilla pudding
Use about 35 g less flour. This will add a nice light yellow color to the cake.