This easy German apple streusel cake is one of our favorite cakes (streusel means crumbles). It can be varied with the Damson plums, peaches or apricots. It is the ultimate “Kaffee and Kuchen Cake” in Germany – what we call a typical coffee cake. The cake is easy to make, even baking beginners can be proud of themselves. Give it a shot. This is a proven recipe from Germany. Happy Baking!
300 g flour
200 g butter
100 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.28oz
– How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1 dash salt and 1 tsp baking powder (preferably Dr Oetker, not baking soda)
5 medium sized apples
cinnamon to taste
For the Streusel (Crumbles): 200 g flour, 200 g butter, 200 g sugar
– Combine all ingredients for the dough, mix until everything is combined well, then knead dough until it has a firm consistency, it should not fall apart.
– Form to a ball.
– Wrap dough in foil and keep cool for at least 30 min.
– Peel apples, remove core, slice them, mix with cinnamon. Sprinkle with lemon juice (prevents browning).
– Layer a deep baking dish (Height 2 inches, Length 16 inches) with parchment paper or grease it thoroughly with butte and dust with flour generously.
– Gently press the dough into the baking dish with a rim that is about 1 inch high.
– Pre-heat oven to 350F.
– Place apples on top of the dough.
– For the streusel combine all ingredients, mix until you get a crumbly dough.
– Evenly spread the crumbles on apples.
– Bake in pre-heated oven for 20-30 min on 350 F (175C). The baking time depends on your oven.