The German apple pastry contains egg liquor and quark. Both ingredients are not usual items in US supermarkets.
You can make quark at home - GO TO THE QUARK RECIPE - and get egg liquor in German specialty stores or for example at Shop wine direct - or you can make it at home - Find the Egg Liquor Recipe here -
If you google egg liquor many other shops will show this alcoholic drink that is a combination of eggs and brandy. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Apple Pastry
For the Filling
450 g apples
60 g sugar
100 ml egg liquor
2 tbsp starch (Mondamin, corn starch)
For the Dough
150 g quark
6 tbsp milk
6 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
50 g sugar
1 package or 0.3oz vanilla sugar - How to make vanilla sugar -
1 dash salt
300 g flour
1 package baking powder or 0.5oz
1 egg white
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk
Baking Instructions German Apple Pastry
- Peel apples, remove core, cut in small cubes. Place together with sugar and egg liquor in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Mix starch in some warm water, add to apples, let simmer for 2 min.
- Pre-heat oven to 390 F.
- Dough: Combine quark, oil, sugar, salt and vanilla sugar. Mix flour with baking powder, sieve half of the flour to the dough quark. Knead fast and thoroughly by using remaining flour until you get a smooth and dry dough.
- Roll the dough and cut 8 rectangles. Brush egg yolk on the edges of the dough.
- Place the apples on one side of the rectangle.
- Make 6 cuts on the other side of the rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle with the cuts over the filling, press the edges so the pastry is closed.
- Spread egg yolk mixed with milk on top.
- Place on a tray layered with parchment paper, bake for 15-20 min until golden.
- Before serving and when cooled off powder with sugar or powdered sugar.