German apple pancakes or “Apfelpfannekuchen” in German, are great for a sweet supper or as part of a Sunday brunch. German apple pancakes are thinner than the American pancakes. If you want to make them use apples that are slightly sour. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Apple Pancakes
(for 6 pancakes)
For the Apple Filling:
6 tbsp butter
3 pounds tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced as wedges
2 tbsp sugar mixed with cinnamon
– In a heavy skillet melt 6 tbsp butter on medium heat.
– When foam subsides add apple slices and sprinkle them with the sugar-cinnamon mix.
– Gently let them cook until they are soft and begin to color.
– Set them aside.
For the German Apple Pancakes:
2,5 cups milk
1 cup flour
4 tsp sugar
6 tbsp butter
How to make the Batter for German Apple Pancakes
– Preheat the broiler to its highest temperature.
– Mix eggs with milk in a large mixing bowl, whisk with a fork until they are blended well.
– Mix the flour with 4 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt; add the mix to the eggs-milk mix, stir it constantly while adding the flour.
– In a 10-inch skillet melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
– When the foam has subsided pour 1/2 cup of batter and tip the pan from side to side so that the batter spreads evenly the whole bottom.
– Spread 3/4 cup of apples evenly over the batter and let the pancake cook for 3 minutes.
– Regulate the heat, it should not get too hot.
– Pour another 1/2 cup of batter over the apples.
– Slide the skillet under the broiler 6-7 inches away from the heat.
– Let the pancake cook for another 2-3 minutes until the top is golden brown and firm.
– When the pancake is done loosen the sides and bottom with a metal spatula, slide it onto a warm serving plate – keep it warm until all pancakes are done.
– Add for each pancake 1 tbsp butter.
– Sprinkle powdered sugar over the pancakes before serving.
If you are an experienced cook you can make the pancakes entirely on the stove BUT you need to turn them without dislodging the apple filling.
To avoid that the butter gets brown, add a splash of olive oil to the melting butter.
Serve the apple pancakes with vanilla sauce or whipped cream.
Use a non-stick skillet.
If you want to turn the pancake use a fitting plate and by holding it tightly onto the pan, turn the pan so that the pancake will be on the plate; put pan back, melt some butter and let the unbaked side of the pancake slide back into the skillet. Hope this works.