Maybe you know about the German “Cremeschnitten”. If not then learn today how to make these “Schnitten” which is a cake baked in a deep baking pan, and when done it is cut in square or rectangle pieces. The German Apple Cream Slices contain different layers and, as you can imagine, the cake will be delicious! Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Apple Cream Slices
250 g butter, very soft
200 g sugar (or less)
250 g flour, all purpose
2 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
100 g almonds or hazelnuts, ground
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 kg apples, grated
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp rum or rum flavor
250 ml apple juice
1 package Dr Oetker vanilla pudding – How to make Vanilla Pudding –
or alternatively 1.5 oz cornstarch with some vanilla extract
300 ml heavy cream
1 Pck. whip it (Sahnesteif) – optional
100 g sour cream
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.3 oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
Subscription Free Food Box
Baking Instructions German Apple Cream Slices
- Combine all ingredients for the dough: Beat butter with sugar, add one egg after the other,
- Mix flour with baking powder, and add to the dough.
- Spread dough on 2 greased (or layered with parchment paper) high side sheet cake pans or oblong cake pans. Note: Below you can see some cake pans, the ones from Elite are the most similar ones to the German pans that we use in Germany.
- Mix almonds, sugar and cinnamon. Place on top of the dough.
- Pre-heat oven to 175 C or 350 F.
- Bake each pan for about 20 min. Cake should look golden yellow. Let cool off.
- Peel, grate apples. Mix with lemon juice, rum and cinnamon.
- In a pan combine vanilla pudding powder with 1 tbsp sugar and 6 tbsp apple juice.
- Add remaining apple juice to the grated apples, bring to a brisk boil. Add pudding, bring again to a brisk boil.
- Spread the filling on top of the cake.
- Let cool off.
- Whip heavy cream with whip it until firm, add sour cream, spread it evenly on the apple cream.
- Place second cake on top. Let sit at least for 1 day in the fridge. Cut in rectangle pieces.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.