The German Apple bread is a nice alternative to fruit bread, it does not contain eggs. The recipe is proven from my sister-in-law and I had the pleasure to taste it myself! Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Apple Bread
750 g apples or 4 big apples
200 g sugar (or 250g if you like it more sweet, or less sugar)
250 g raisins or cranberries
150 g whole almonds
500 g flour, all purpose, unbleached
1 packages baking powder (Dr. Oetker) 0.5 oz
1 tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
1 tbsp. dark rum (optional)
cinnamon and ground cloves to taste
Baking Instructions German Apple Bread
- peel apples, remove core, grate them fine.
- mix apples with sugar and let rest for 4-6 hours or overnight in a covered bowl.
- add all remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until you get a thick dough.
- layer a pound cake form with parchment paper and fill in dough.
- bake in pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F for 1 1/4 or up to 1.5 hours.
Do the test: Use a knife and stick it into the bread. The dough should not stick on the knife.
Serve with butter, honey or jam.