The German Apple bread is a nice alternative to fruit bread, it does not contain eggs. The recipe is proven from my sister-in-law and I had the pleasure to taste it myself! I watched her making it so it’s a proven German recipe. But keep in mind that the ingredients int he USA are different. For example flour is not the same at all even you buy the most expensive US flour. Recommended is an organic flour that won;’t contain any GMO grain. Keep in main that Europe has no genetically modified ingredients. Happy Baking!
750 g apples or 4 big apples
200 g sugar (or 250g if you like it sweeter, or add less sugar)
250 g raisins or cranberries
150 g whole almonds
500 g flour, all purpose, unbleached
1 package baking powder (Dr. Oetker) 0.5 oz (not baking soda)
1 tbsp cocoa (unsweetened)
1 tbsp dark rum (optional)
cinnamon and ground cloves to taste
– Peel apples, remove core, grate them fine.
– Mix apples with sugar and let rest for 4-6 hours or overnight in a covered bowl.
– Add all remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough has thickened.
– Layer a pound cake form with parchment paper and fill in dough. Size of the form: 12-13 inches long. You can use an adjustable for, German measures are 30cm or 12 inches.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F for 1 1/4 or up to 1.5 hours.
Do the test: Use a knife and stick it into the bread. The dough should not stick on the knife.
Serve with butter, honey or jam.