Serve this delicious German almond Streusel cake with a cup of coffee and whipped cream! It is easy to make, and a delicious German cake for your Coffee and Cake time, the Kaffee and Kuchen Zeit! The recipe is using quark which can be easily made at home or substitute with Ricotta cheese, Greek Yoghurt or others (see below). You also can buy quark online now! Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Almond Streusel Cake
100 g butter
400 g flour
200 g sugar
1 dash salt
4 tbsp milk
4 tbsp oil (sunflower, canola)
125 g quark – How to Make Quark –
2 packages vanilla sugar – 0.6oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1/2 package Dr Oetker baking powder – 0.25oz – One pouch sufficient for 4 cups (500 g) of flour
200 g creme fraiche
3 tbsp almonds, sliced
1 tbsp coarse sugar (optional)
1 tbsp powdered sugar
NEW: German Baking Mixes for a Yeast Dough and Streusel Cakes
Baking Instructions German Almond Streusel Cake
– Melt butter on very low heat, let cool off a bit.
– Mix 200 g flour, 100 g sugar and 1 dash salt.
– Add 1 egg and butter.
– You can use hands or kneading hooks for the hand mixer, to combine everything for the Streusel.
– Keep in the fridge until you need them.
Make the Dough
– Mix milk, oil, 1 egg, 1 dash salt, quark and 50 g sugar.
– Combine 200 g flour and baking powder and sieve to the quark cream.
– By use kneading hooks, knead until you get a smooth dough (or use hands).
– Sprinkle flour on a baking board or smooth surface. Roll dough to an oval size (18x35cm).
– Place diagonal on a baking tray layered with parchment paper.
– Mix creme fraiche, 50 g sugar, vanilla sugar and 1 egg.
– Spread on dough.
– Sprinkle Streusel on dough and add almonds at last.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 390 F for 20-25 min (convection oven is 350F).
– When done let cool off.
– Sprinkle with coarse sugar and dust with powdered sugar.
SUBSTITUTES FOR QUARK
Greek yogurt such as FAGE
Fromage frais or Fromage blanc