The Fried Potatoes Thuringia style use as many dishes from “Thueringen” caraway seeds and marjoram. The caraway seeds can be ground too if you don’t like the strong taste when you bite on a seed. In Germany you have quite a lot of potato “brands”. We recommend for fried potatoes to use the Gold potatoes or potatoes that are not falling apart when cooked. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Fried Potatoes Thuringia Style
300 g potatoes, preferably gold or red potatoes
1 medium size onion
salt and pepper to taste
a dash of sweet (mild) paprika
2 tsp sunflower or safflower oil
herbs: caraway seeds (optional) and fresh or dried marjoram to taste
For those busy times… Ready Made German Fried Potatoes
– Peel potatoes and cut in half, then in quarters or smaller. You can also slice them thinly.
– Peel onion and chop fine.
– Heat oil in a non-stick skillet, add raw potato pieces.
– Spice with salt, pepper and all other spices and herbs. Mix well.
– Brown potatoes on high heat, then add onions.
– Reduce heat.
– Fry until the potatoes are soft. Turn them several times. If needed season again.
If you like you can add other herbs such as parsley, thyme or chives, chopped bacon or ham.