The Fried Potatoes Thuringia style use as many dishes from “Thueringen” caraway seeds and marjoram. The caraway seeds can be ground too if you don’t like the strong taste when you bite on a seed. In Germany you have quite a lot of potato “brands”. We recommend for fried potatoes to use the Gold potatoes or potatoes that are staying form when they are cooked. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Fried Potatoes Thuringia Style
300 g potatoes, russet or gold, should be firm when cooked
1 bigger onion
salt and pepper
pinch of sweet paprika powder
2 tsp sunflower or safflower oil
herbs: caraway seeds and fresh or dried marjoram to taste
– Peel potatoes and cut in half, then in quarters or smaller. You can also slice them thinly.
– peel onion and chop fine.
– Heat oil in a skillet, add raw potatoes, spice with salt, pepper and all other spices and herbs.
– Brown potatoes on high heat, then add onions.
– Reduce heat and boil them until the potatoes are soft. Turn them several times.
If you like you can add other herbs, bacon or ham.