Fondue Bourguignonne or Fleischfondue in German is very popular in Germany especially during the holidays. It is also called Burgunderfondue. In some families it is a Christmas eve tradition, in others a New Years Eve meal. It is quite convenient as it serves many people. The best is to get a fondue set. It comes usually with the forks, the sauce bowls and the rechaud which keeps the oil hot.
The Fleischfondue is served with pickles, a variation of sauces and assorted vegetable.
You can be very creative when it comes making the sauces. Recommended are 5-6 sauces. We added some delicious dipping sauces below the recipe. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Fondue Bourguignonne Fleischfondue
1 kg Beef filet (per person calculate 200-350 g)
1,5 liter vegetable oil (flavorless) or taste neutral coconut oil such as expeller pressed (in Germany we use Palmin)
(peanut oil, sunflower oil, soy oil, not olive oil)
different Sauces to dip the meat
herbal/garlic butter - see recipe below
fresh Baguette or Ciabatta bread
mixed pickles, pickled onions, tomatoes in oil, pickled corn and mushrooms, etc.
salt an pepper shakers
assorted vegetable (such as mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, pepper)
Cooking Instructions Fondue Bourguignonne Fleischfondue
- Cut the meat and all other ingredients that you use in 3 cm thick cubes and place it on the individual plates.
- Place pickles in small bowls.
- Heat the oil on the stove, and when it has the right temperature, place it on the rechaud.
Place one meat cube on the fork and cook in the hot oil for 1-2 minutes, let it drip, then dip it in a sauce and enjoy!
- Use instead of beef filet, pork filet or thin sliced turkey or chicken breast.
- You also can make a mix of different meats.
- Don't use Schnitzel or Goulash meat.
- Never use oil or grease that has a taste, it should be without any flavor.
- Remove meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before you will serve it.
- The oil is hot when you can see little bubbles around a wooden spoon that is dipped into the oil.
- Have a small sieve aside so you can catch the meat pieces that fell off the fork.
Fondue Sauces for the Fondue Bourguignonne Fleischfondue
Garlic / Herb Butter
250 g soft butter
5 garlic cloves
salt, pepper, lemon juice
2 tbsp herbs
(parsley, chives, dill, tarragon)
Green Spinach sauce
125 ml yoghurt natural
125 ml mayonnaise
frozen or fresh spinach, cooked and chopped finely
Instructions: Mix all ingredients and spice with salt and pepper.
Garlic Honey Sauce
2 garlic cloves
150 g yoghurt natural
100 g salad mayonnaise
100 g sour cream
2 tsp mustard (medium)
1 tbsp vinegar
salt with herbs, pepper
2-3 tsp honey
Instructions: Peel garlic cloves and chop finely, then mix with all other ingredients and let sit for at least 15 min.
Sour Cream with Herbs
1/2 cup chives 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbsp green pesto
5-6 tbsp sour cream,
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Instructions: Mix all ingredients and spice with salt and pepper
0,25 l sour cream
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp mustard
pinch sugar, salt, pepper
3-5 slices cooked ham (150 g)
2 tbsp ketchup
Instructions: Mix sour cream with oil, mustard and spices until creamy. Chop ham and combine with all other ingredients, then spice to taste.
5 tbsp sour cream and 5 tbsp yoghurt natural
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp mayonnaise
Instructions: Mix all ingredients and let sit for 5 min.