The filled honey ring cookies are a wonderful addition for the Christmas cookie platter. This is an original German recipe. You can find all ingredients in US super markets and the vanilla sugar is easy to make at home – Go to the recipe How to make Vanilla Sugar – Happy Baking!
(makes 50-60 cookies)
100 g powdered sugar
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.5 oz – How to Make Vanilla Sugar –
1 dash salt
350 g flour
200 g butter, soft, room temperature
200 g honey
50 g chopped almonds
225 g candied fruit – Find European style candied fruit here –
Glazed fruit on nuts.com
– Mix powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and soft butter until you get a creamy dough.
– Add egg and flour, knead until you have a smooth dough; wrap in foil and let sit over night in the fridge.
– Sprinkle flour on a baking board and roll dough until thin.
– Cut round cookies, half of them must be cut as rings (for the opening to place the filling).
– Brush egg yolk over the cookies, then place the ring cookies on top.
– Place them on a baking tray layered with parchment paper.
– Warm honey, add chopped almonds and chopped candied fruit, let simmer on low heat for 2 min.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Let cool off a bit, then fill it into cookie opening on top.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F for 10-12 min.