This easy Donauwellen cake is just irresistible. Donauwellen Cake is a classic German cake as you can find in many German bakeries. Donau is the "Danube", a German river that starts near the Black Forest and runs to the Black Sea. The sour cherries, the light and brown dough make some wavy pattern hence the name. In some parts of Germany it is called Schneewittchen cake (snow white cake). The cherriers are from Aldi, they carry them throughout the year. Aldi also has a great organic sunflower oil.
If you want this cake you need to make it because unfortunately it is not available in the USA. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Easy Donauwellen Cake
160 g sugar - 3/4 cup
175 ml sunflower oil
175 ml milk
350 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa unsweetened
1-2 tbsp milk
1 jar sour cherries, drained
1 package vanilla pudding Dr Oetker or almond - Make Vanilla Pudding recipe -
400 ml milk
2 tbsp sugar
250 g butter
200 g unsweetened baking chocolate
2 tbsp Nutella or chocolate spread
1 tbsp sun flower oil or taste neutral coconut oil
Baking Instructions Easy Donauwellen Cake
Make the butter cream:
- Take butter out of the fridge, cut it in small pieces and place them in a bowl (butter has to be soft).
1. Make the pudding
- mix the pudding powder with 2-3 tbsp milk and sugar,
- bring milk to a boil, add pudding powder mix, bring to another boil. Done.
- pour it in a bowl, place a piece of plastic foil on top so no skin will be developing. There should not be any bubbles between pudding and foil.
- let pudding cool off at room temperature.
Prepare tray or form
- grease a deep baking form or tray and layer it with parchment paper, size 13-15 inches.
- preheat oven to 180 C or 350 F.
2. Make the dough
- beat eggs with sugar until creamy, add slowly the oil.
- mix flour with baking powder, sieve it, add to dough alternating with the milk, mix well.
- spread half of the dough into baking form or tray.
- mix remaining dough with milk and cocoa.
- carefully add it on top of the first (light) dough layer, watch out it should not get mixed up.
3. Make the Cream
- beat the soft butter until creamy, remove foil from pudding which has to have room temperature.
- spoon by spoon mix pudding with butter.
- spread the cream on top of the cold cake (the cake should not be warm anymore). If the cake should be warm, and cream is ready, place cream in fridge until you can use it.
- keep the cake at a cold place.
- by using double boiler method melt the chocolate completely, add Nutella and oil. The melted chococlate should be thin. It should not blend with the cream. With a wide knife make it smooth if necessary.
- place the cake in the fridge so the chocolate and cream get firm.