One traditional German cake for Easter is the Easter lamb cake. To make this special cake you would need a special baking lamb form, and we found some on Amazon. It’s basically a cake similar to a pound cake, so you could vary it by adding add some cocoa and create a marble cake or some lemon or rum flavor as a variation. Find two recipes, one sweetened with honey, the other one with regular sugar. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Easter Lamb Cake
125 g butter
100 g honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
125 g ground hazelnuts or almonds
200 g flour
1.5 tsp Dr. Oetker baking powder
125 ml milk
1 tbsp baking rum (optional)
Baking Instructions Easter Lamb Cake
– Beat butter, honey and eggs until foamy.
– Add vanilla and grated hazelnuts, mix flour with baking powder, add to dough, then milk and rum.
– Take baking form apart.
– Grease the form with a baking brush very thoroughly (use butter or oil); put it back together and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
– Fill in the dough but don’t fill it completely otherwise it will overflow during the baking process.
– Bake on lowest level for 1 hour at 175 degrees C or 347 ; place a sheet of aluminum foil on top after 30 minutes, so it won’t get too brown.
Easter Lamb Cake With Sugar
75 g butter
100 g sugar, very soft
1 Pkt. Vanillezucker
2 tbsp rum
140 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
Combine butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar and beat until bubbly. Add rum, then sieved flour with baking powder. Mix well.
Pour dough into a greased lamb form. Bake for 40 min on 350 F.
After cake had cooled off sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe sources: chefkoch.de