The Dresden Cheese Cake Eierschecke is a cake specialty from Dresden, mainly from Saxon and Thuringia. You can get it at the most beautiful cheese store and restaurant at www.pfunds.de (see photo below) or make it at home.
Schecke is a cake that is made on a baking tray out of yeast dough and topped with apples, quark or poppy seeds; it also has a frosting made out of egg, cream, sugar and flour.
Back in the 14th century the Schecke was the name for men clothing and consisted of 3 parts (upper, belt, and lower part). The cake had been named after these men clothes.
The cake “Schecke” has 3 parts:
The upper layer is a creamy egg yolk with butter, sugar and vanilla pudding; the middle part is mainly a mix of quark, egg, butter and vanilla pudding; the lower part is a dough made out of yeast or a normal mix. That is the Dresdner Eierschecke.
The cake is cut in rectangle pieces or like a tart. You can add raisins, almonds, Streusel or a chocolate glaze. Try it out. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Dresden Cheese Cake Eierschecke
For the Dough
65 g Butter
50 g sugar
1/2 package baking powder, 0.3oz
200 g flour
3 eggs, separated
75 g sugar
100 g butter and some butter for greasing the form
Find all important German Baking Ingredients in ONE Box
Baking Instructions Dresden Cheese Cake Eierschecke
– Combine all dough ingredients in a bowl, mix well.
– Grease a spring form 10 inches or layer one with parchment paper.
– Fill the dough into the spring form. Spread even.
Make the Filling
– Mix all ingredients for the filling.
– Make the pudding per instructions (don’t add sugar) and add half of it to the filling.
– Fill the cream onto the dough.
– Preheat oven to 300F.
– Separate eggs, then beat egg whites until firm.
– For the topping beat egg yolks, sugar and butter until creamy.
– Ad the remaining pudding; mix well, then add the firm egg white and carefully fold in the cream.
– Place it on top of the filling.
– Bake for 30-45 min. on 160- 175 C of 300F, cover the cake with foil, so the surface won’t get brown.
– Let the cake cool off in the form, then release from form carefully.
Serve with whipped cream.