It can be difficult to find white asparagus in the USA so I decided to find a recipe for a Creamy Green Asparagus Potato Soup. It’s a delicious soup for Spring and very easy to make. The best is, the soup is super creamy. For the recipe we are using green asparagus and potatoes which is a good combination for a soup. This is an authentic German recipe. Enjoy and Happy Cooking!
4 medium potatoes
8-10 green asparagus (not the super thin asparagus)
1 smaller onion
1 liter vegetable broth, instant or home made – How to make Vegetable Broth –
125 g crème fraîche
1 splash dry white wine (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
grated parmesan cheese (optional)
– Peel onions and potatoes, chop onions fine. Cut potatoes in cubes.
– Cut asparagus in about 1 inch long pieces, keep the top parts if you like.
– Heat olive oil in a pot, saute onions and potatoes for about 2-3 min.
– Add broth. Let simmer until potatoes are soft.
– In a pan heat olive oil and brown asparagus on high temperature very briefly. Add the wine.
– Cook for 1-2 min, then add to the soup.
– Let simmer for about 5 min or until asparagus is soft.
– Puree the soup with a stick mixer.
– Add creme fraiche and mix again very good.
Decorate with the asparagus tops and drizzle some drops olive oil on top if you like. If you like sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese. Serve with fresh bread and butter.