Using this recipe for the creamy German broccoli soup nothing can get wrong! It is a perfect soup recipe for cooking beginners and makes a great soup with fresh harvested broccoli.
The history for broccoli goes back to ancient Rome. Back then Romans grew broccoli from wild cabbage.As we can see from the shape, broccoli is related to cabbage, cauliflower, kale, and Brussels sprouts.
Finally in the 16th century broccoli made it to other European countries, and in the 20th century it was brought to the USA by Italian immigrants.
The nutritional value of broccoli is very important as it contains more vitamin A and vitamin C than all other types of cabbage. Keep in mind that if you store broccoli in the fridge longer than three days, it will lose almost 50 percent of all vitamin content.
Broccoli is such a popular vegetable nowadays that made us find a recipe for a soup that will nourish and is good for any occasions. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Creamy German Broccoli Soup
500 g broccoli
1 onion and 1 garlic clove
1 tbsp clarified butter or olive/sunflower oil – How to make Clarified Butter –
100ml heavy cream
1 tsp vegetable broth, instant, German or organic – How to make Vegetable Broth –
1 tbsp sauce thickener eg. from Mondamin or 1 tbsp corn starch (optional)
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
750 ml water
Cooking Instructions Creamy German Broccoli Soup
- Separate the broccoli flowers from the stems, peel stems and cut in small pieces.
- Chop onion and garlic fine.
- Heat clarified butter, saute onion and garlic until onions are transparent.
- Add broccoli and saute for 1-2 min.
- Pour in water, bring to a brisk boil, add instant broth.
- Let simmer for 10 min.
- With a stick mixer puree the soup. Add heavy cream, spice to taste.
- If you use the sauce thickener bring the soup to a brisk boil before serving.