This is a recipe for the Classic German Bienenstich Yeast Dough Version (bee sting cake). It takes some time to make this cake and we recommend that you have some baking experience. If you like to use a different version that is using a more simple dough – Click here to find this recipe – Happy Baking!
Ingredients Classic German Bienenstich
500 g flour, all purpose
1 cube fresh yeast or 1 package dry yeast
100 g Zucker
1 package Vanilla Sugar – 0.5 oz – How to Make Vanilla Sugar –
250 ml milk
100 g soft butter
1 dash salt
5 sheets gelatine
1 Pck. vanilla pudding
100 g sugar
500 ml milk
800 ml heavy cream
4 Pck. whip it
150 g butter
100 g sugar
1 pck. vanilla sugar – 0.5oz
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp heavy cream
150 g sliced almonds (blanched)
Baking Instructions Classic German Bienenstich
Make the YEAST DOUGH
– Sieve the flour into a bowl, make a mold, add the yeast into the mold, add some sugar and the milk. Mix this Starter dough and let raise (covered) for 10 min.
– Add remaining sugar, salt, egg and soft butter in small flakes around the edges of the dough. With a hand mixer and kneading hooks knead the dough until smooth.
– Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let raise at a warm place until volume has doubled.
TIP: Heat oven to 250F, turn off. Place bowl into the oven.
Make the TOPPING
– In a pan heat butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, honey and cream slowly while stirring. Add almonds and while stirring now and then, let it cool off but not completely.
– Now that the dough is ready, knead it with hands on a floured surface briefly.
– Roll dough into a rectangle form if you use a deep baking tray (40x30cm). You also can use a round springform of 26cm (10 inches).
– Grease the tray or spring form and dust with flour thoroughly, or layer with parchment paper.
– Place dough into the tray or spring form. With a fork poke the dough several times.
– Spread the topping cream evenly on top of the dough.
– Let raise again for 10-15 min.
– Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 375 F.
– Bake for 12-15 min.
– Let completely cool off.
– If you used a tray you would cut the cake into 12 same size pieces. Cut every piece into half. Place the bottom part again onto the tray.
– If you use a round spring form, cut the dough horizontally. It’s recommended to cut the upper cake piece into 10 evenly sized pieces (not the bottom part).
Make the FILLING
Make the pudding per instructions.
– Soak gelatin in water, press all liquid out of the gelatin and add is in small portions to the pudding.
– Let cool off.
– Beat heavy cream with whip it, mix into pudding.
– Spread the cream over each bottom cake piece or the round bottom cake piece.
– Add the upper cake part(s) on the bottom part.
– Refrigerate for at least 3 hours (don’t cover it) or over night.
Before serving cut again with a knife.
The cake tastes the best the next day!