The Chocolate pear cake is an original German cake and is very easy to bake. If you don't have the packaged vanilla sugar you can make it yourself - Go to the Recipe - Vanilla Sugar Home Made- The recipe is also using egg liquor which you can get in some special liquor stores. The alternative would be the Pennsylvania Dutch egg nogg. Or make it at home: There is a recipe on Mybestgermanrecipes.com - How to Make Egg Liqueur. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Chocolate Pear Cake
600 g ripe pears
4 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp maple syrup
100 g chocolate semi sweet
160 g butter (room temperature)
3 eggs (medium size)
110 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker, 0.3oz - How to make vanilla sugar -
15 g unsweetened cocoa
240 g flour
0.5oz baking powder (not baking soda) Dr Oetker
80 ml heavy cream or milk
70 ml egg liqueur (optional)
3 tbsp apricot jam
Baking Instructions Chocolate Pear Cake
- Peel pears, cut in quarters, remove cores. Then cut the quarters again.
- Mix lemon juice with maple syrup and pour over pears.
- Let pears soak for 30 min, covered in the fridge.
- Chop chocolate coarse and with double boiler melt it on low heat. Let cool off a bit.
- Mix soft butter with sugar and vanilla sugar until you get a cream.
- Add one egg after the other, mix well.
- Add warm chocolate (it should not be hot!). Mix until you get a thickened cream.
- Mix flour with baking powder and cocoa, sieve it, add alternating with heavy cream/milk and egg liqueur to the chocolate cream by using a wooden spoon.
- Grease a spring form (26cm) and layer it with parchment paper. Press the paper against the edges of the spring from. It will stick as the form is greasy.
- Pour dough into spring form and spread even.
- Place the pears in the dough.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about 50 min (convection) on 160 C or 320 F (time can vary depending on the oven; do the test by poking the cake with a tooth pic or skewer to find out if it is done. It is done when no dough is sticking on the skewer).
- Warm jam on medium heat and when the cake is done, spread over hot cake.
- Let cake cool off in the form.
- Serve the cake with whipped cream sweetened with some maple syrup, sprinkle with cinnamon.