The cherry cake from the Black Forest is called “Kirschplotzer” and comes from the region Baden. That’s the region from Freiburg to Karlsruhe. You would use the regular sweet cherries for this cake. It is also using rolls which need to be 1-2 days old. Don’t use fresh rolls. Alternatively baguette or French bread can be used but never sourdough bread. The famous Black Forest Cherry brandy add the unique taste to the cake but you can make the cake also without.
Ingredients Cherry Cake Black Forest
250 g butter, soft
250 g sugar
6 eggs separated
1 tbsp cherry brandy (Kirschwasser)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 l warm milk
1 kg fresh sweet cherries
8 two day old rolls
Baking Instructions Cherry Cake Black Forest
– mix butter, egg yolks and butter until you get a bubbly dough.
– cut rolls in small cubes and soak them in the warm milk, with a fork mash them.
– remove pits from cherries.
– add rolls to dough, then add the cherry brandy, cinnamon and cherries. Mix dough but don’t use a mixer.
– beat egg white until firm, fold carefully to dough.
– grease a spring form (26cm diameter or 10 inches) and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
– fill in the dough and bake for 1.5 hours on 350 F (this cake needs this long baking time).
Serve the cake with warm vanilla sauce, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.