You will love this German carrot kohlrabi stew with bratwurst. It’s delicious in any season. In Germany we call such a dish Eintopf. If you cannot find Kohlrabi you might use leek which will be sliced and added to the soup 6 minutes before it is done.
Kohlrabi is also called “German turnip” and tastes very good raw but can be cooked as well. The taste is in between cauliflower and radishes. It’s a great vegetable because it contains Vitamin C. This stew is an original German recipe. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Carrot Kohlrabi Stew
2 bigger sized Kohlrabi
2 big potatoes,
4 bratwurst, can be spiced, alternatively Wiener Sausages or beef hot dogs
1/2 liter vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth –
1 tbsp vinegar
salt, nutmeg to taste
1 tbsp flour
1/2 lb potatoes
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Find Made in Germany Products in this
Cooking Instructions Carrot Kohlrabi Stew
– Peel carrots and kohlrabi, remove hard parts.
– Cut them into small pieces or Julienne style.
– Make the vegetable broth when you use instant broth and bring with vinegar to a boil. Add carrots and kohlrabi and boil for about 9 min, they should not be too soft, and have some bite.
– With a slotted spoon remove them from the broth.
– Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes.
– Melt some clarified butter and fry the sausages in a pan, then slice them If you use wiener sausages and hot dogs, don’t fry first, just slice them.
– In a big pan melt the butter, add flour and mix well, don’t let it become brown.
– Add the broth until it thickens but don’t let it become too thick.
– Spice with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
– Add the veggies, the potatoes and sausages and let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
– Before serving sprinkle with the chopped parsley.