You will love this German carrot kohlrabi stew with sausages such as Bratwurst or Frankfurters. It’s a delicious meal for any season. In Germany we call such a dish “Eintopf”. If you cannot find Kohlrabi you might use leek which will be sliced and added to the soup 6 minutes before it is done.
Kohlrabi is also called “German turnip” and tastes very good raw in a salad. The taste is in between cauliflower and radishes. It’s a great vegetable because it contains plenty of Vitamin C. This stew is an original German recipe. Happy Cooking!
2 bigger sized Kohlrabi
2 big potatoes
4 sausages (Mettwurst, Bratwurst, Wiener Sausages, Frankfurter or Beef hot dogs
1/2 liter vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth –
1 tbsp vinegar
salt, nutmeg to taste
1 tbsp flour
1/2 lb potatoes
1 tbsp chopped parsley
NO SUBSCRIPTION – A Box Filled with Made in Germany Products
– Peel carrots and kohlrabi, remove hard parts.
– Cut them into small pieces or in Julienne style.
– Make the vegetable broth when you use instant broth and bring with vinegar to a boil. Add carrots and kohlrabi and boil for about 9 min, they should not be too soft, and have some bite.
– With a slotted spoon remove them from the broth.
– Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes.
– Melt some clarified butter and fry the sausages in a pan, then slice them If you use wiener sausages and hot dogs, don’t fry first, just slice them.
– In a big pan melt the butter, add flour and mix well, don’t let it become brown.
– Add the broth until it thickens but don’t let it become too thick.
– Spice with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
– Add the veggies, the potatoes and sausages and let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
– Before serving sprinkle with the chopped parsley.