The Bohemian Poppy seed Strudel or also called “Striezel” is a German baking specialty that comes from the Polish and Silesian cuisine but also from the Austrian part when it used to be Germany. If you want to make it as a “Striezel” the dough would be braided. As a “Strudel” the dough would be rolled.
In both ways this delicious cake is made out of a sweet yeast dough with ground poppyseeds. Some recipes add Streusel on top but for this one we just used powdered sugar. There is a German poppyseed strudel baking mix available now that is imported from Germany (see at the end of the recipe). Happy Baking!
Ingredients Bohemian Poppy Seed Strudel
500 g flour, all purpose, unbleached
30 g fresh yeast or 1 pk dry yeast
1/8 liter milk
1 dash salt
80 g sugar
125 g butter
1 tbsp lemon zest
300 g poppy seeds, ground – Use a spice or coffee grinder for grinding
200 g sugar
300 ml milk
0.5oz or 1 package vanilla sugar – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
zest of 1 lemon, organic
Baking Instructions Bohemian Poppy Seed Strudel
– Place flour into a bowl, make a mold, fill in the yeast that had been mixed with some luke warm milk. – Add some flour and sugar and mix it – this is the “pre-dough”.
– At a warm location let it raise for 15 min, then add remaining milk, sugar, salt, egg, lemon zest and grated butter.
– Knead until you get a smooth dough.
– At a warm place let it raise covered (kitchen cloth) for 30 min.
– Bring milk to a brief boil.
– Add all ingredients.
– Let simmer until it thickens, then let cool off.
– Divide dough in 2 parts, roll each part on a baking board that is sprinkled with flour.
– Spread on each part the filling and roll it.
– Let rest for 20 min.
– Beat an egg and brush it over each roll.
– With a fork poke each strudel several times.
– Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 180 C or 350 F.
– Bake on lower section of the oven for about 45-60 minutes (depends on the oven).
– When the Strudel is done dust it with powdered sugar right before serving.
THE GERMAN POPPYSEED BAKING MIX
Find this baking mix in our shop on LoveGermanFood.com – It’s an authentic German Kathi Baking mix for a poppyseed strudel. Contains all ingredients, just add the fresh ones. Made in Germany – ORIGINAL and GOOD. Easy to follow instructions – Check it out!