What about a Patriotic Black Red Gold Cake that is symbolizing the colors of the German flag? It’s a cake for patriotic German occasions like world soccer games. The fruit is black berries, strawberries and golden kiwis or alternatively you may use mandarins.
Underneath the fruit there is a thin layer of dark chocolate – so delicious! You also could use a layer of vanilla pudding. Learn how to make this German cake from scratch. It’s super easy to make and I can guarantee, everyone will love it. And of course you serve it with whipped cream.
Enjoy this cake while watching the world championship soccer game. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Base Cake
6 tbsp flour
5 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp sunflower oil (taste neutral)
1/2 package baking powder Dr Oetker or 1.5 tbsp
1 tsp vanilla sugar – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
50 g dark chocolate
fresh fruit – black and strawberries, kiwis or mandarins from the ca
Make the Cake Glaze
1,5 tbsp potato starch
250 ml water or juice
2-3 tbsp sugar or to taste (using water 3 tbsp, juice 2 tbsp)
Baking Instructions Black Red Gold Cake
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Mix flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl, add eggs and oil and mix well.
– Use a form 28 cm diameter, see picture below, and where to find it on bottom
– Fill dough into a greased form and bake for 5-10 min on medium level.
– Let cool off before releasing cake from the form (upside down). Let cool off completely on a baking grid.
– Place the base cake on a plate that is bigger than the cake.
– Melt chocolate in double boiler and spread a vert thin layer on the bottom of the cake. Let chocolate cool off.
– Wash fruit, cut strawberries in half, peel kiwis, cut in slices and place in the German color sequence on the cake.
– For the glaze mix starch and sugar with 2 tbsp liquid.
– Bring remaining liquid to a boil and add starch mix.
– Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes. Should the glaze become firm add some more water or juice.
– With a spoon spread hot glaze evenly over the cake.
– Keep the cake in the fridge until the glaze is firm.
Serve with whipped cream.