This best German apple cake is called “versunkener Apfelkuchen” in German. Versunken means sunken and because the apples will sink into the dough hence the name.
It is a very easy cake recipe that you will love, and you will bake it over and over. It tastes great with a cup of coffee and is an ideal “Kaffee and Kuchen” cake for Sundays or any other days. If you don’t have apples you can use canned pears, plums or sour cherries. You also can add some chopped almonds and cinnamon for some “holiday-like” flavor. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Best German Apple Cake
- 3 – 5 apples, depends on the size
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (small-medium)
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice or zest
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or zest
- 1 package vanilla sugar or 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs for the form
Ingredients in Grams
600 g apples – equals 3-5 depending on size
150 g butter, soft
120 g sugar, raw cane sugar, unbleached
180 g flour, all purpose unbleached
1 dash salt
2 tbsp bread crumbs, taste neutral
1 tbsp powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker – 0.3oz
1/2 package baking powder Dr Oetker – 1.5 tsp
1-2 tbsp lemon juice or zest
150 ml milk
Baking Instructions Best German Apple Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Peel the apples, then cut them in half, remove cores. Cut the apple quarters in the middle! The apple halves should not be sliced. So don’t cut them completely through – see photo at the bottom
Do this just before you place them on the cake or the apples will get brown but if you sprinkle them with lemon juice they won’t. You also can use apple halves only.
- Separate the eggs, beat egg white until firm.
- Beat the soft butter, sugar, egg yolks and lemon juice until you get a creamy dough.
- Sieve the flour, mix it first with the baking powder, and salt. Stir into dough alternately with the milk. Then fold in with a spatula the firm egg white.
- Pour batter into a well greased spring form (diameter 10 inches) that is sprinkled with bread crumbs. Alternatively layer the spring form with parchment paper
- Arrange the apple halves on top.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 min on 350 F – Do the test: Take a tooth pick and insert it in the center; when it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let cake cool off, then remove from spring form.
- Dust it with powdered sugar just before serving.