The best German apple cake is called "versunkener Apfelkuchen" in German. Versunken means sunken and the apples sink into the dough. It is a very easy recipe that you will love. It tastes great with a cup of coffee and is an ideal "Kaffee and Kuchen" Cake for Sunday. If you don't have apples you can use canned pears, plums or sour cherries. You also can add some chopped almonds and cinnamon. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Best German Apple Cake
- 3 - 5 apples
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (small-medium)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs for the form
Ingredients in grams
600 g apples - equals 3-5 depending on size
150 g butter, soft
150 g sugar
180 g flour
1 dash salt
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker - 0.3oz
1/2 package baking powder Dr Oetker - 0.5oz
2 tbsp lemon juice or zest
1/2 cup milk
Baking Instructions Best German Apple Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grease bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Peel the apples, then cut them in half, remove cores. Cut the apple quarters in the middle! The apple halves should not be sliced. So don't cut them completely through - see photo at the bottom
Do this just before you place them on the cake or the apples will get brown but if you sprinkle them with lemon juice they won't. You also can use apple halves only.
- Separate the eggs, beat egg white until firm.
- Beat the soft butter, sugar, egg yolks and lemon juice until you get a creamy dough.
- Sieve the flour, mix it first with the baking powder, and salt. Stir into dough alternately with the milk. Then add the firm egg white.
- Pour batter into the spring form. Arrange the apple halves on top.
- Bake it for 50 to 55 min on 350 F - do the test: take a tooth pick and insert it to the center; when it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let cake cool off then remove from form.
- Dust it with powdered sugar just before serving.