The Berlin potato salad or in German, “Berliner Kartoffelsalat”, is a specialty from the capital of Germany, from Berlin. If you plan to make this salad keep in mind that it has to rest for 3-4 hours or the best would be to keep it in the fridge over night. It’s a great German salad for many dishes such as Frikadellen, Wiener Schnitzel or Bratwurst.
This salad is controversial because some claim it must be made with mayonnaise. Others say it’s without. This recipe is not using mayonnaise but YOU CAN add it. There is m=no rule that says you can’t. But try it out first, and you will make it over and over! Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Berlin Potato Salad
1 kg potatoes, waxy (Gold potatoes)
1 tbsp caraway seeds
2 tbsp German mustard
1 tsp sugar or to taste
100 ml pickle liquid, preferably from German pickles
1-2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil or taste neutral oil
4 medium size pickles
1 medium size onion
3-4 spring onions or 3-4 tbsp chopped chives
salt, pepper to taste
Comes with LANDJÄGER!
Cooking Instructions Berlin Potato Salad
– Boil potatoes with 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp caraway seeds. Don’t let them boil too long, they should still be a little bit firm, of course soft but not super soft. They should not fall apart. Drain them, let them cool off a bit then peel potatoes. They should be warm.
– Chop onion fine.
– Add mustard, sugar, pickles liquid, vinegar, oil, onion, salt and pepper into a bigger jar with lid, close it and shake it thoroughly. Oil and vinegar should be mixed well.
– Peel apple, remove core and seeds, cut in very small cubes.
– Slice pickles and potatoes.
– In a big bowl place alternately potato slices, pickles and apples and add in between the layers some of the dressing. You also can add more salt and pepper to taste. Don’t mix the salad yet!
– At the end you will have more dressing in the bowl but this is okay. The salad needs to sit for at least 3-4 hours, it is the best to let it sit over night in the fridge.
– Before serving, mix the salad and add the chopped spring onions or chives. Mix again, then serve. There should not be more dressing than salad now as the potatoes should have soaked up all of the liquid.
Serve with your favorite sausages, Frikadellen or Schnitzel.