The Berlin potato salad or in German, “Berliner Kartoffelsalat”, is a specialty from the capital of Germany, from Berlin. If you plan to make this salad keep in mind that it has to rest for 3-4 hours or the best would be to keep it in the fridge over night. It’s a great German salad for many dishes such as Frikadellen, Wiener Schnitzel or Bratwurst. Try it out and you will make it over and over! Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Berlin Potato Salad
1 kg potatoes, waxy (Gold potatoes)
2 tbsp mustard
3 tbsp sugar or less
100 ml pickle liquid, preferably from German pickles
1-2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
4 medium size pickles
1 bigger onion
3-4 spring onions or bunch of chives
1 garlic clove (optional)
salt, pepper, caraway seeds (optional) to taste
Cooking Instructions Berlin Potato Salad
– Boil potatoes with 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp caraway seeds. Don’t let them boil too long, they should still be a little bit firm, of course soft but not super soft. They should not fall apart. Drain them, let them cool off a bit then peel potatoes. they should be warm.
– chop onion and garlic fine.
– Add mustard, sugar, pickles liquid, vinegar, oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper into a bigger jar with lid, close it and shake it thoroughly. Oil and vinegar should be mixed well.
– Peel apple, remove core and seeds, cut in small pieces.
– Slice pickles and potatoes.
– In a big bowl place alternately potato slices, pickles and apples and add in between the layer some of the dressing. You also can add more salt and pepper to taste. Don’t mix it!
– At the end you will have more dressing in the bowl but this is okay. The salad needs to sit for at least 3-4 hours, it is the best to let it sit over night in the fridge.
– Before serving, mix the salad and add the chopped spring onions or chives. Mix again, then serve. There should not be more dressing than salad now as the potatoes should have soaked all of the liquid.