This is a recipe for authentic German Beer Goulash or, as we call it in German, “Biergulasch”. It is a different kind of goulash and, as the name states, the recipe is using beer. We recommend to use German beer for making this delicious dinner.
The gravy should be thick and creamy and if you think that the stew will taste like beer, this will not be the case. There will only be a a very subtle beer taste. Happy Cooking!
500 g beef (you also use a mix of 250 g beef and 250 g pork)
2 tbsp of each: clarified butter, mustard, tomato paste
1 piece of each: onion, garlic clove, carrot
200 ml beer, dark beer or to taste
500 ml vegetable broth
salt, pepper to taste
2 tbsp Hungarian or German mild paprika powder
1 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream (optional)
some flour or starch to thicken the gravy
– Heat clarified butter.
– Brown the meat on high heat briefly, spice with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
– Chop onion and garlic clove fine, slice carrot, add to the meat with mustard and tomato paste.
– Fry everything for 1-2 min.
– Add beer, let cook until the liquid has evaporated, then add the vegetable broth.
– Cover and let simmer for about 1 hour or until the meat is tender (cooking time depends on the meat).
– About 5 min before the meat is completely done, add creme fraiche or the starch/flour (mix starch in some cold water, if you add it directly to the stew you will get clumps.
– Bring to a brisk boil then serve.
RECOMMENDED SIDE DISHES
Spaetzle – Dumplings or Boiled and/or Mashed Potatoes.