Authentic German Beer Goulash or "Biergulasch" in German is a different kind of German stew that is zesty and just right for a cold winter's day. The gravy should be creamy and don't worry about the beer taste, it will be just very subtle. The reicpe is using only carrots but I can imagine it tastes very good with potatoes too. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Beer Goulash
500 g beef (you also can mix 250 g beef and 250 g pork)
2 tbsp clarified butter (Butterschmalz)
2 tbsp mustard
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 garlic clove
200 ml beer, dark beer or to taste
500 ml vegetable broth
salt, pepper, to taste
1-2 tbsp Hungarian or German paprika powder
1 tbsp creme fraiche (optional)
some flour or starch to thicken the gravy
Cooking Instructions Beer Goulash
- Heat clarified butter and fry the meat on high heat briefly, spice with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
- chop onion and garlic clove, slice carrot, add to the meat with mustard and tomato paste, fry everything for 1 minute.
- add beer and let it cook until the liquid has evaporated, then add vegetable broth.
- cover it and let it simmer for 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- about 5 minutes before the cooking time is over add creme fraiche or the starch/flour.
- bring to a brisk boil.
Serve with Spaetzle or boiled or mashed potatoes.