This is a perfect Bavarian Oktoberfest or fall meal that you will love! The Bavarian Pork Roast comes in a beer gravy and is served with bread dumplings (Semmelknödel) and Bavarian cabbage or red cabbage. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Bavarian Pork Roast
2 kg pork roast, preferably with the slab
caraway seeds, coarse salt, pepper to taste
3 medium sized onions
2 medium sized potatoes
1/4 celery, root
1 liter dark beer
1,5 liter beef broth – How to Make Beef Broth –
For the Dumplings
500 g 2 days old German style rolls (should be Wheat rolls)
250 ml semi-warm milk
1 medium sized onion, chopped
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
Cooking Instructions Bavarian Pork Roast
Pre-heat oven to 175 C or 350 F convection (regular oven 195 C or 380F).
– If the roast has the slab, with a sharp knife cut it diamond-shaped.
– Rub in a good amount of the coarse salt (but not too much!), caraway seeds and a little bit of pepper.
– Place the roast, slab side should face upwards, into a dutch oven.
– pour 1/2 liter of boiling hot beef broth over the meat and place in oven.
– Let cook in oven for 1 hour.
– Cut onions in half, then quarter and quarter again.
– Slice leek, cut carrots in cubes.
– Add vegetable to the roast. Pour in 1 liter boiling hot broth.
– Let cook for another 2 hours. Pour several times some broth from the pan over the roast.
– 30 min before roast is done increase heat to 220 C or 420 (broiling heat) and pour the beer over the roast. It’s done so you get a nice crust. This process is very short. Watch it so it won’t get black.
– Remove the roast from the pan, and slice it with a sharp knife.
– Drain the roast juice, thicken if necessary with tomato paste or 1 tsp corn starch mixed in some water. You also can squeeze the soft veggies through a sieve and add to the gravy.
Make the Bread Dumplings
– Cut the rolls into fine slices.
– Bring water with some salt in a pan to a boil. Pan should be big enough so 8 dumplings can float next to each other at the surface.
– Pour the warm milk over the rolls. Mix with hands.
– Chop onions and parsley fine.
– Add parsley, onions and eggs to the rolls, mix well.
– Spice to taste, let sit for 2-3 min.
– Moisten your hands and form about 8 dumplings.
– Place the dumplings one after the other into the boiling water.
– Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 min.
– Remove with a slotted spoon and serve right away.