1 medium size white cabbage
1-2 tbsp lard (or clarified butter)
1 smaller onion, chopped
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 apple, slightly sour, cut in cubes
salt, pepper to taste
1/8 liter beef broth, instant or home made - GO TO THE BEEF BROTH RECIPE
1 tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
Cooking Instructions Bavarian Cabbage Side Dish
- Cut cabbage in half, wash, remove hard parts.
- Grate the cabbage but not too fine.
- Brown lard with sugar, add onion and apple cubes. Mix well.
- Add cabbage, spice with salt and pepper, add broth.
- Let cook for about 60 min covered with a lid, add more broth if needed.
- Before serving add the vinegar and if you like the caraway seeds (promote digestion).
Serve with mashed potatoes, roasted onions, and Buletten or Fleischpflanzerl, the German burger.