Let's have a look what is served in Bavaris as a side dish: Bavarian Cabbage! It is the perfect side dish for Bratwurst or "Fleischpflanzerl", the German burger. Cabbage is a very inexpensive but health vegetable. You may know only Sauerkraut but this dish is made from raw cabbage. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Bavarian Cabbage Side Dish
1 medium size white cabbage
1-2 tbsp lard (or clarified butter)
1 smaller onion, chopped
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 apple, slightly sour, cut in cubes
salt, pepper to taste
1/8 liter beef broth, instant or home made - How to Make BEEF BROTH
1 tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
Cooking Instructions Bavarian Cabbage Side Dish
- Cut cabbage in half, wash, and remove the hard parts.
- Grate the cabbage but not too fine.
- Brown lard with sugar, add onion and apple cubes. Mix well.
- Add cabbage, spice with salt and pepper, add broth.
- Let cook for about 60 min covered with a lid, add more broth if needed.
- Before serving add the vinegar and if you like the caraway seeds (promote digestion).
Serve with mashed potatoes, roasted onions, and Buletten or Fleischpflanzerl, the German burger.