The Bavarian Brauhaus Goulash is an authentic German recipe from Bavaria. A Must is to use German beer to make this delicious goulash. It is an original Bavarian food specialty and we are happy to provide the recipe for you, so you can make it at home. The recipe is using pork but you also can use beef instead. Keep in mind that the cooking time is different when using beef. Happy Cooking!
500 g pork stew meat
2 tbsp clarified butter
1/2 tsp German mustard
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 medium size onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
1 carrot, grated
200 ml German beer
600 ml vegetable broth - How to make Vegetable Broth -
salt, pepper, mild paprika powder to taste
1 tbsp creme fraiche or heavy cream (sour cream might be good as well)
Cooking Instructions Bavarian Brauhaus Goulash
- Heat clarified butter in a skillet.
- If meat is not chopped, cut it in small cubes.
- Brown meat on all side on high heat for 1-2 min. Spice to taste.
- Chop onions, grate carrot, press garlic through a garlic press.
- When meat has nicely browned and there is no water anymore in the pan, add garlic, onions, carrot, mustard and tomato paste.
- Fry for 2-3 min.
- Add beer, cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Add broth.
- Cover skillet and let simmer for about 1 hr, when using a pressure cooker for 35 min.
- 5 min before cooking time has ended add cream and if you like mix 1 tbsp corn starch with cream which will thicken the sauce.
Serve with Spätzle, mashed or boiled potatoes, dumplings or Bohemian Serviettenknoedel.