Bavaria is famous for its good food. We found a recipe for a Bavarian beef roast and it is one of the best Bavarian recipes.
Ingredients Bavarian Beef Roast
1 kg beef roast
2 tbsp canola oil (organic, cold pressed)
1 leek, 1 celery stem, 1 carrot, chopped
5 small size onions
5 garlic cloves
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
5 juniper berries
salt, black fresh ground pepper to taste
1/8 liter beef broth, organic
1/4 liter red wine, dry, eg Bordeaux
1 dash sugar
250 ml heavy cream
1 dash of each: piment, celery salt, ground rosemary and marjoram
Cooking Instructions Bavarian Beef Roast
- Heat oil and brown beef on all sides.
- Remove from pan, fry chopped onions, leek, celery stem, carrot and garlic cloves briefly.
- Add tomato paste and red wine. Mix well. Add broth and spices.
- Place beef in pan again, the vegetable should cover the meat.
- Cook in pressure cooker for 40-50 min.
- The cooking time is longer if you don't use a pressure cooker, also add 1/4 liter additional broth.
- remove meat from the pan.
Making the Gravy
- Drain the liquid, and by using a sieve press the vegetable part through the sieve.
- Spice with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer for about 20 min so gravy thickens, or use some cornstarch. Mix cornstarch with some warm water, mix well, so it won't have any clumps, add to gravy.
- Add some heavy cream or creme fraiche.
Serve with Spaetzle, boiled or mashed potatoes, dumplings and vegetable sides.