Bavaria is famous for its delicious food. We found a recipe for a Bavarian beef roast and it is one of the best Bavarian recipes. You can also cook it in a slow cooker for 5-8 hours depending on the kind of beef that you use. Serve the roast with mashed potatoes, dumplings or Spaetzle and vegetables. Makes a great meal for the holidays or festive occasions. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Bavarian Beef Roast
1 kg beef roast
2 tbsp taste neutral oil (eg sunflower or canola, organic, cold pressed)
1 leek, 1 celery stem or root, 1 carrot, chopped
5 small size onions
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
5 juniper berries
salt, black fresh ground pepper to taste
1/8 liter beef broth, organic – How to Make Beef Broth –
1/4 liter red wine, dry, eg Bordeaux
1 dash sugar
250 ml heavy cream
ground rosemary and marjoram
Cooking Instructions Bavarian Beef Roast
– Heat oil and brown beef on all sides.
– Remove from pan, fry chopped onions, leek, celery stem, carrot and garlic cloves briefly.
– Add tomato paste and red wine. Mix well. Add broth and spices.
– Place beef in pan again, the vegetable should cover the meat.
– Cook in pressure cooker for 40-50 min.
– The cooking time is longer if you don’t use a pressure cooker, also add 1/4 liter additional broth.
– remove meat from the pan.
Making the Gravy
– Drain the liquid, and by using a sieve press the vegetable part through the sieve.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste.
– Let simmer for about 20 min which will allow thickening of gravy, or use some cornstarch: Mix cornstarch with some warm water, mix well, so it won’t have any clumps, add to gravy.
– Add some heavy cream or creme fraiche.
Serve with Spaetzle, boiled or mashed potatoes, dumplings and mixed vegetable like peas and carrots.