You will love this recipe for authentic Swabian Cheese Spaetzle! This local recipe comes from a region named “Allgaeu”, a very popular region of the South very close to Bavaria.
It’s a region that is famous for its various dairy products: Cheese, the milk, quark and yoghurts. Because the landscape is so lovely it attracts many tourists throughout the year.
During the winter season the mountains are inviting to ski while in summer you can do the most amazing hiking and biking tours.
The Allgäu is a very relaxing place on earth, and some people say, it must have been created by God. So are the food specialties of this region. It’s Southern German food for the soul! The German Cheese Spaetzle can be found on almost every menu of the local Inns. Enjoy the Spaetzle with fried onions and a mixed salad. Happy Cooking.
Ingredients Authentic Swabian Cheese Spaetzle
1 tsp salt
about 1/4 l cold water or mineral water
or 300 g dried Spaetzle
2 big onions
salt, pepper to taste
1 tbsp Butter
300 g grated cheese (Emmenthaler, Gouda, any cheese which melts easily but don’t use processed cheese)
water with some salt
optional: chopped chives or parsley
Swabian Spätzle included!
Cooking Instructions Authentic Swabian Cheese Spaetzle
– Sieve the flour into a bowl; add eggs, salt and water and mix it with a wooden spoon.
– Stir the dough until you can see bubbles. Maybe you have to add some more cold water.
– Melt butter in a skillet; peel onions and cut them in small rings. Fry them in the butter until light brown.
– In a big pot bring water to a boil. By using a wooden board or a Spaetzle maker, make the Spaetzle. Stir often with a wooden spoon.
– When the Spaetzle are floating on the surface, they are done. Remove them with a skimmer, and keep in a fireproof bowl in the oven. Before you place them in the oven sprinkle some of the grated cheese on top.
– Repeat above step until the entire dough is gone.
– Peel onions, slice them.
– In a pan with some butter fry the onions until they are brown. Alternatively you can use the already made dried onions.
– Serve Spaetzle on warm plates and place some add fried onions on each portion.
– Sprinkle chopped chives/parsley on top.
As a main dish serve the Cheese Spaetzle with fried onions and lettuce.
Beautiful Allgäu Countryside