The Authentic German Sauerbraten is a traditional German pot roast using beef. The meat will be marinated for some days, and you serve it usually with potato dumplings, Spaetzle, mashed potatoes and red cabbage. The German ribbon egg noodles is a great side dish as well. We think any pasta is good that connects well with gravy. Sauerbraten can be made with many different kinds of roasting meat. Tougher, less expensive cuts of meat are used—typically a rump roast or bottom round of beef. In the German Rhineland they add raisins, in the South it is without any berries. Happy Cooking!
1kg beef (cut from the bottom round or rump)
For the Marinade:
1/2 l red wine
0.2 l vinegar
2 tbsp mustard seeds
10 juniper berries
2 small onions
2 bay leaves
2 cups of celery (root, stem, and leaves), chopped
1 tbsp parsley root, cut
1 leek, chopped
salt, pepper to taste
For the Gravy and Side Dishes
1/4 l vegetable broth (instant)
2 tbsp potato starch, tapioca, or Maizena
150 g white mushrooms
1 small onion
1 tbsp butter
250 g Spaetzle – Make Spaetzle from Scratch – The Recipe –
1. Make the Marinade
– Mix red wine, vinegar, cloves, mustard seeds, and bay leave.
– Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
– Let cool off.
– Add all chopped vegetable and chopped onions.
– Marinate the beef for 48 hours, turn it now and then.
– Remove beef from marinade, drain through a sieve. Keep marinade.
2. Roast the Beef
– Wash the meet and pat dry.
– Heat clarified butter and brown beef briskly on high temperature. Add some marinade, reduce temperature.
– Cover with a lid, let it cook for 90 min, pour frequently some marinade over the beef (entire amount: 1/4 liter).
– Remove beef from pan, wrap it in aluminum foil, keep warm.
– Mix gravy with broth.
– Mix starch with cold water, add it to the broth, spice with salt, pepper and a dash of sugar.
– You also can add some tomato paste or red wine.
– Make Spaetzle: Boil the dried Spaetzle in hot and salted water for 8-10 minutes or per instructions.
– Drain Spaetzle, melt some butter in a pan, add Spaetzle and toss evenly in butter, sprinkle with some chopped parsley or chives.
– Use frozen carrots and peas, add in some water, boil for 1-2 minutes, drain. Melt butter, add vegetable, mix well with butter, serve with chopped parsley on top.
And Always after a Good Meal… A bottle of Underberg