This is an Authentic German Black Forest cake recipe. This cake is called in German "Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte". It is a classic cake in Germany and super popular. You can find the cake in every German bakery. This original German recipe will allow you to bake the cake that you love at home. We recommend that you have some baking experience before starting to bake this cake.
The Black Forest Cake is the "Queen of all cakes. It is known all over the world but its origin is in the German Black Forest, a region in the South of Germany, praised by its mountains and the good air but also for the wonderful food and the friendliness of its people.
The main city is the city of Freiburg - the most charming city in Germany that we personally know. The Black Forest Cake is a unique combination of cream, cherries, chocolate and Kirsch (Schnaps) that is made in the Black Forest ( if you cannot get the original Kirsch you can use brandy). Happy Baking!
Ingredients Authentic German Black Forest Cake
Ingredients Cake Base
• 125 gr wheat flour
• 10 gr cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 50 gr sugar
• 1 bag vanilla sugar
• 1 egg white
• 50 gr butter
Ingredients Biscuit Base
• 3 eggs
• 1 yolk
• 2 tablespoon warm water
• 100 gr sugar
• 1 bag vanilla sugar
• 3 drops bitter-almond baking oil
• 1 hint cinnamon
• 75 gr flour (wheat)
• 10 gr cocoa powder (without sugar or anything else, needs to be pure)
• 25 gr wheat starch or potato starch - Ener-G Pure Potato Starch Flour 16 Oz
• 1,5 teaspoon baking powder
Important is to use the correct cherries. You need sour cherries (in German we also call them Schattenmorellen). Dont use Bing cherries or similar ones.
• 1 jar sour cherries (750 gr)
• 80 gr sugar
• 40 gr wheat or potato starch
• 2 tbsp Kirsch Schnaps
• 2 tsp ground gelatin
• 3 tbsp cold water
• 500 ml heavy cream
• 1 package vanilla sugar - How to make vanilla sugar -
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 40 gr chocolate (grated) to sprinkle (use black chocolate with high cocoa percentage, best is Swiss or German chocolate)
• 1 jar maraschino cherries for decoration
Baking Instructions Cake base
Sieve flour, cocoa and backing powder on a working surface. Make a mold and add sugar, vanilla sugar and egg white into it, mix it with some of the flour so it gets mushy. Add cold butter (cut into pieces) and knead it together so you have a lump. Let it rest for 30 minutes in the fridge. Grease (with butter) a 26 cm diameter spring form and roll the dough so it fits into this form. Bake it for 20 minutes on medium heat.
Baking Instructions Biscuit Base
Beat 4 yolks and water foamy and add bit by bit two third of the sugar, vanilla sugar and spices. Beat egg white so it gets firm and add the rest sugar. Add firm egg white to the yolk cream and sprinkle the mix of starch, flour and cocoa over it. Mix it carefully and add it in a spring form, laid out with parchment baking paper (same size as for the cake base). Bake it right away for 35 minutes on 350 degrees.
Baking Instructions Filling
- Drain cherries.
- Heat 3/4 of cherry juice, mix 1/4 juice mix with starch.
- When juice starts to boil mix in the starch and let it boil up.
- Add cherries and let it cool down, add sugar and Kirsch Schnaps as desired.
- Mix gelatin powder with water, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Carefully bring to a boil, keep on stirring, let it cool off.
- Beat heavy cream semi-firm, then add the completely cooled off gelatin.
- Beat cream again so it gets completely firm, add vanilla sugar and additional sugar as desired.
Baking Instructions for the Cake
- First put half of the cold cherries on the cake base.
- Add 1/3 of the filling on the cake base.
- Cut the biscuit base horizontal in half - put one half on the filling (press it on) and add on top the remaining cherries and the cream.
- The other half of the biscuit base will be added on the top. Apply the rest of the cream on the sides and the top
- Decorate the cake with grated chocolate and cherries.
The cake needs to be in the fridge at least for 4 hours.
If you like to add the traditional Kirsch Schnaps, drip some of the Kirsch Schnaps on the cake base and biscuit base before you are adding the filling.
You should have some baking experience when trying this recipe; it is not for beginners.
You can find the sour cherries, vanilla sugar, bitter almond oil on Amazon below.