The Apricot Butter Cake is an Authentic German recipe, yes and it is one of the great recipes. The cake is a yeast dough with apricots on top, you can use ripe and fresh or canned ones. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Apricot Butter Cake
175 g cold butter (1 stick butter is 114g)
1 cube or 1 package dry yeast
500 g flour - 2 cups
200 g sugar - 1 cup
1 dash salt
zest of 1 organic lemon
1 can apricots - 850ml or alternatively peaches
100 g sliced almonds
Baking Instructions Apricot Butter Cake
- Melt 50 g butter, warm milk a little bit, dissolve yeast in milk.
- Mix flour, 50 g sugar, salt, lemon zest, cooled off butter and yeast-milk, mix with the hand mixer using kneading hooks for 5 min until you get a smooth dough.
- With hands knead the dough very well, place in a bowl, dust with flour, cover with a kitchen cloth and let raise at a warm place for 30 min (should raise to double amount).
- Knead dough again very well. Sprinkle flour on hands. Spread dough on a greased deep baking tray (size 40x60cm).
- Drain apricots, if they are not in halves cut in halves.
- Gently press them into the dough.
- Let dough raise again 15 min.
- Cut cold butter in small cubes.
- With a wooden spoon press little molds into the dough in between apricots.
- In each mold place a butter cube.
- Sprinkle with almonds and 150 g sugar.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 350 F for about 20 min until the cake is golden brown.
- Let cool off before cutting it in rectangle shaped pieces.
Tip: Place a fire proof bowl with water in the oven while cake is baking. It makes the cake even better. Serve with whipped cream!