This Apple Cake Vienna Style – Traditional Recipe from Germany might become your favorite German apple cake. The cake consists of layers and a delicious apple filling. Such a cake you would find in the Cafes of Germany. Serve with a dot of whipped cream. Happy Baking!
1,5 kg apples
zest of 1 lemon (organic) and juice
3 tbsp water
100 g sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp corn or potato starch
100 g raisins (optional) and 3 tbsp rum or apple juice
1 package vanilla pudding – How to make Vanilla Pudding –
175 ml milk
150 ml heavy cream
200 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
50 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.3 oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
125 g quark – How to make quark – Substitute: FAGE greek yoghurt
4 tbsp milk
some drops bitter vanilla or natural vanilla extract (optional)
4 tbsp sunflower oil or safflower/canola
100 g almonds, sliced or chopped
75 g sugar
2 tbsp milk
Make the Filling
– Peel apples, remove core, cut ins mall cubes.
– Place 1/3 of the apples into a pan. Add water and lemon juice.
– Cook for about 10 min. If there should be some liquid left drain apples.
– Soak raisins in rum or apple juice for 10 min. Drain them.
– Mix remaining apples, 50g sugar, lemon zest, starch, raisins and cinnamon in a bowl.
– Make pudding per instructions (use sugar, milk and heavy cream for it).
– Combine pudding with the cooked apples and the the other apple mix.
– Layer a spring form with parchment paper. Place paper on the bottom of the form, and place the form around it. Grease the round form.
– Pre-heat oven to 150 C or 300F.
Make the Dough
– Mix flour with baking powder. Add sugar, vanilla sugar, quark, milk and oil.
– With a hand mixer and kneading hooks mix well first on low level, then on high level until you get a form-able dough. But don’t mix too long otherwise the dough will get sticky.
– Place 2/3 of the dough on the bottom of the spring form. The rest of dough form to a roll and place it along the edges, form a 3 cm high wall around the form.
– Place the filling into the form
– Chop almonds (or use sliced almonds), mix with sugar and milk.
– Spread evenly on top of the cake.
– Bake the cake for about 1 hour (lower level of the oven).
When the cake is done remove the form, let the cake cool off on a cooling rack.
If the cake has cooled off you can remove the paper or leave it on.