This almond apple cake is worth it to try! It is a combination of a biscuit base (Muerbeteig) and a mix of apples, cinnamon and almonds.
Of course all German apple cakes are great and just delicious but this one is special. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Almond Apple Cake
250 g flour – 2 cups
125 g butter, unsalted – more than 1 stick
120 g sugar – 1 cup
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1/2 tsp lemon zest or lemon juice
1 tsp baking powder (pref. Dr Oetker)
100 g butter – less than 1 stick
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.3 oz
100 g sugar – 1/2 cup
160 g sliced apples – about 1 cup
160 g almonds, sliced or chopped – 5.6 oz
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp flour
Baking Instructions Almond Apple Cake
– Make the dough by mixing all ingredients for the dough.
– Knead dough on a wooden board or smooth surface until it is smooth. Form to a ball, wrap in foil, keep for 30 min in fridge.
– Peel apples, remove core and seeds.
– Cut apples first in halves. Then cut them in thin slices or if you like, use this variation below:
With a pointed knife cut each apple half several times but don’t cut through the apple completely.
– Grease a 28cm or 10 inches spring form with butter (bottom and edges), sprinkle with bread crumbs.
– Place dough in form on bottom and around the edges of the form.
– Put apples on the bottom.
– Chop almonds or slice them.
– Add butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and almonds in a pan, warm it a bit, mix well.
– Combine with milk, cinnamon and flour, mix well.
– Spread evenly over apples.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 390 F for 50-60 min, convection 375 F.