This almond apple cake is worth it to try! It is a combination of a biscuit base (Muerbeteig) and a mix of apples, cinnamon and almonds.
Of course all German apple cakes are great and just delicious but this one is special. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Almond Apple Cake
250 g flour - 2 cups
125 g butter, unsalted - more than 1 stick
120 g sugar - 1 cup
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz - How to make Vanilla Sugar -
1/2 tsp lemon zest or lemon juice
1 tsp baking powder (pref. Dr Oetker)
100 g butter - less than 1 stick
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.3 oz
100 g sugar - 1/2 cup
160 g sliced apples - about 1 cup
160 g almonds, sliced or chopped - 5.6 oz
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp flour
Baking Instructions Almond Apple Cake
- Make the dough by mixing all ingredients for the dough; knead it good. Form to a ball, wrap in foil, let sit for 30 min in fridge.
- Peel apples, remove core and seeds.
- Cut in halves first, then cut in thin slices or if you like use this variation:
With a pointed knife cut each half several times but don't cut through the apple completely.
- Grease a 28cm or 10 inches spring form with butter (bottom and edges), sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place dough in form on bottom and around the edges of the form.
- Put apples on the bottom.
- Chop almonds or slice them.
- Add butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and almonds in a pan, warm it a bit, mix well.
- Combine with milk, cinnamon and flour, mix well.
- Spread evenly over apples.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 390 F for 50-60 min, convection 375 F.