The German region Allgäu is a very popular region of Germany"s South. There you find beautiful meadows with cows, farms where they make cheese and many milk products come from the Allgäu.It is a great place for a skiing or hiking vacation. You find charming bed and breakfast places and Inns serving these delicious food specialties such as the "Speckfladen" which is a thin flat pancake topped with the famous German Speck (bacon) similiar to the Flammkuchen from the Alsace.
The Allgau Specialty Recipe Speckfladen is easy to make you just need the speck and we think the best comes from BavariaSausage.com in Wisconsin. They smoke the bacon the German traditional way. The cheese should not be the typical Krfat cheese. For this recipe use some Swiss, German or Austrian cheese which is more flavorful. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Allgau Specialty Recipe Speckfladen
200 g flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 dash salt.
4 tbsp sunflower or canola oil
125 ml butter milk
200 g Speck, German bacon or alternatively cooked ham
salt, pepper to taste
200 g sour cream
100 g grated cheese such as Emmenthaler
Cooking Instructions Allgau Specialty Recipe Speckfladen
- Mix flour with baking powder, add remaining dough ingredients.
- Knead to a dough, let sit for 15 min.
- On a baking board dusted with flour roll 4 smaller or 1 big flat cake, must be quite thin.
- Chop onions fine, cut Speck/Ham in small cubes, mix with sour cream and grated cheese.
- Spice with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place on the dough.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 200 c or 390 F for about 20 min.